My name has been placed on various software/hardware vendors mailing lists from subscribing to certain magazines and attending tradeshows. Because of this, I recieve a steady stream of marketing pitches in the mail. One of the best that I’ve recieved was a nice coffee mug from Cisco. No specific product behind it, just simple effective branding.
The other day I recieved the weirdest pitch though. A marketer from a midsize software company called my cellphone to tell me that tomorrow I would be recieving a marketing pitch from them in the mail. There was no mention of what the actual pitch was just that I should check my mail tomorrow and look for the mailing from them.
To me this seems to be the most inefficient way to go about marketing. Not only did they not prequalify me, the product wasn’t relevant to what I do, but they used a very costly and time consuming marketing method to promote an incredibly inefficient method of marketing. Once she had me on the phone why didn’t she give me the sales pitch then. Getting a live person on the phone is usually the hardest part. To then waste that opportunity to tell me to do something that I was already going to do, ie. check my mail, is insane.
This company is just throwing their money away and the funny thing is that I was so shocked by what had just happened that I forgot their name.
An amazingly embarrasing way to find out that you suck as a manager.
This was posted in a coffee shop in Vancouver, BC.
From Beyond Robinson
This theorem can be supported by a mathematical equation based on the following three postulates:
* Postulate 1: Knowledge is Power (Knowledge=Power)
* Postulate 2: Time is Money (Time=Money)
* Postulate 3 (as every engineer knows): Power = Work / Time
By substitution, since Knowledge = Power, Postulate 3 becomes: Knowledge = Work / Time
And since Time = Money, we have: Knowledge = Work / Money
Solving for Money, we get: Money = Work / Knowledge
Thus, as Knowledge approaches zero, Money approaches infinity, regardless of the amount of Work done.
Conclusion: The less you know, the more you make.
Everybody knows the great sexual scandal known as “Klinton-Levinsky”.
After the relations like this Klintons popularity raised a lot!
It is a natural phenomenon, because Bill as a real man in order not to
shame himself when he was with Monica regularly used Voagra.
What happened you see. His political figure became more bright and more attractive.
It is very important for a man to be respected as a man!
See our Voagra shop to enter upon the new phase of your life.
The weird thing was that I was actually able to understand this.
We’re finally getting some good weather on the peninsula. It’s amazing how much this can affect your mood. Just a little bit of sunshine makes everything so much better.
Found a little problem with I18N in java and mysql the other day. We’re working to allow YouService to handle international characters. Our first test was to input Kanji characters into the client and then test whether we got Kanji characters back out when other clients sync’d.
In order to do this, the client sends a request to our http API on the server. The server then stores these changes as transactions in a database. Then when other clients, that have permission to the data sync with the server, they pull the transactions out and change their own local PIM records.
This seemed pretty straightforward, what we put in we wanted to get out. If someone enters Kanji characters we wanted to hand Kanji characters back out to everyone. The problem was that after entering Kanji, you got back gibberish. So, time to fire up the debugger and figure out where the problem occurred.
We determined that the client was sending properly URL encoded UTF-8 data to the server.
The server was then able to unencode the data properly.
The server then entered the data into Mysql tables with character support for UTF-8. The data was properly visible with the db.
It turned out that the problem occured upon pulling the data back out of the database. By looking at the data in binary form we were getting back ~130% of the bytes that we put in. Something wasn’t handling the character sets properly.
I went through and made sure that every setting in mysql was set for utf-8 because it appeared that even though the data we put in was utf-8, the character set of the table was utf8, and we were explicitly asking for utf-8 back, the jdbc driver was trying to handle it as latin and then convert it to utf-8. This double conversion is what was causing the extra bytes and conversion to gibberish. After two days of playing with the mysql parameters it appeared that it was a bug in the jdbc code as it wasn’t listening to the directive to use the utf-8 character set.
I finally had to resort to a workaround. Since I knew that what I wanted out was exactly what I put in and this data wasn’t going to be searched or selected on, I dropped the String down to a byte and inserted it that way. On the way out I called
new String(getBytes(1), "UTF-8"). This worked very well, as now when I insert Kanji characters in the client I get Kanji characters back out.